Tools for Literacy Learning
Many examples of how to develop literacy skills using software tools like Kid Pix Studio,
HyperStudio, Inspiration, PowerPoint, web page design programs like Netscape Composer
and Claris Homepage, word processors, databases and spreadsheets.
Information Resource for Mayberry School
Designed to support this school's participation in the CIERA project and to facilitate
further study of effective literacy instruction for early readers.
- Enhancing Reading Comprehension with Software and Internet Technologies, Grades 3-5. Mary Morisson Elementary School, Groton, CT. June 19 & 20, 2003.
- New Literacies and Reading Comprehension, Invited Talk at St. Joseph College, West Hartford, CT. June 5, 2003.
- Technology and Literacy: Supporting the diverse needs of students at the secondary level, Grades 7-12, SERC Literacy Initiative Professional Development Session, January 14, 2003.
- Technology for Leadership & Learning in Connecticut: Understanding Technology as a New Literacy, Dr. Donald Leu and Julie Coiro, November 19, 2002; December 9, 2002;
March 4, 2003.
- Building Stronger Connections to Text with Electronic ExperiencesConnecticut Reading Association Annual Conference, November 14, 2002
- Integrating Technology into a Comprehensive Literacy Program in Grades 3-6, SERC Literacy Initiative Professional Development Series, October 29, 2002; November 21, 2002; and January 8, 2003
- Integrating Technology Resources Into Your Comprehensive Literacy Curriculum:A Constructive & Practical Series of Five Sessions for 2001-2002
- Developing Comprehension Activities for Students in Grades 3-8
- Empowering Struggling Readers in Grades 4-6 with Technology
- Enhancing Components of Comprehensive Literacy Using the Internet Grades K-3
- SERC Literacy Initiative Professional Development Opportunity, October 13, 2001
- LEARN, Center for Instructional Technology Trainers, October 31, 2001
- Fox Run Elementary School, Norwalk CT. November 6, 2001
- Empowering Readers and Writers in Grades K-3 with Technology ToolsConnecticut Reading Association Annual Conference, October 26, 2001
- Empowering Readers and Writers in Grades 4-8 with Technology ToolsConnecticut Reading Association Annual Conference, October 26, 2001
- Empowering Young Learners with Technology Tools,SERC's Families and Literacy Conference, May 3, 2001
- Teachers and Students Making A Difference With TechnologySERC Beginning Teachers Program, April, 2001
SERC Beginning Teachers Program, April, 2002
Coiro, J. & Sulzen, J. (2002, October). Best Practice Principles for integrating literacy and technology: A research review. In D. J. Leu (Chair), New Visions for Teacher Education using Video Cases Delivered over the Internet: Recent Work from the CTELL Project at UConn. Symposium conducted at the meeting of the New York Educational Research Association, Kerhonkson, NY.